Salary Range: $100,000 to $140,000 Per Year depending on experience.
This opportunity requires candidates to be on-site In San Jose, CA
An industry leader in Open Source storage and custom server solutions, is actively searching for a committed, experienced and enthusiastic Tier 2 Hardware Support Engineer to provide advanced support of escalation cases. This will be an individual who is highly driven and able to work closely within the Support Team in fielding server hardware and application support cases
Strong interpersonal skills along with the ability to track and complete numerous simultaneous customer support tasks. The Tier 2 Hardware Support Engineer will work in coordination with customers to identify any hardware-related issues. It is essential in this position to have extensive familiarity with server and storage hardware architecture and functions.
- Support Linux-based, high-performance computing (HPC) and Storage Solutions featuring a wide range of technologies.
- Render professional, timely, and expert user support.
- Troubleshoot software and hardware issues.
- Prioritize duties in consultation with customers
- Direct the RMA process and coordinate support escalations for native and third-party hardware and software.
- Fully document processes, procedures, and all work performed.
- Mentor, task, and monitor junior team members
- Participate in growing native product technical capabilities through knowledge-sharing and team activities.
- Investigate and solve technical issues encompassing Enterprise Data Center Hardware, Software & Storage technologies.
Experience, knowledge, demonstrated skills in the following:
- Linux System Administration skills, including; vi editor, interpreting /var/log files (Application, Event, Service, and System Logs) and taking appropriate action to ensure reliable operation. (interactions between OS layer and hardware layer)
- BIOS and IPMI/BMC firmware installation along with advanced troubleshooting and configuration
- Interconnection technologies/protocols such as PCI Express, NVMe, and USB
- Storage device connection technologies such as SATA, SAS, NVMe
- Storage RAID levels, advantages and disadvantages of each level, understanding of which RAID level is best practice for various use cases such as backup, performance, boot devices, etc.
- Network technologies, strong understanding of Ethernet and TCP/IP, switching/routing, ability to work at all levels of the OSI model, strong knowledge of network aggregation and virtualization, LAGG, LACP, VIP, VLAN
- Storage filesystems, ZFS, GlusterFS
- Storage transport and network file system protocols, SMB, iSCSI, NFS
- Virtualization and hypervisors such as VMware vSphere / ESXi, Hyper-V, Xen / Citrix XenServer, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV), KVM
- Remote monitoring and management of host system technologies (mainly BMC/IPMI — similar to Client iLO or Dell DRAC) and command-line utilities such as ipmitool, interpreting logs such as system event log and recommending/taking appropriate action.
- Integrating commercially-available computer components into server systems from SuperMicro, ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, Dell, and others
- Hands on experience with systems assembly, installing motherboards and add on cards, NICs and transceivers, HBAs/expanders, HDDs, SSDs, wiring/cabling, server microprocessors, AMD (EPYC) and Client (Xeon)
- Diagnose the root cause of high level system failures – includes identifying failing components and source(s) of failure
- Research server and storage documents, determine Linux version interoperability
- Write/modify shell scripts as needed to run tests and benchmarks, automation of tasks is a plus.
- Remote login and command-line execution, file transfer, SSH, FTP
- Benchmarking methods, test diagnostics and stress testing of computer hardware (CPU, memory, networking, storage).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated ability to support customers (internal and/or external).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with UNIX/Linux server environments.
- Strong Linux systems administration skills and experience with open source technologies.
- Understanding of network technologies, architectures, and protocols.
- Practical knowledge of software-defined storage architecture and administration.
- Practical knowledge of implementation and administration of High-Performance Computing (HPC) technologies, including cluster resource management, job scheduling, etc.
Applicants for this opportunity must have an unrestricted right to work in the United States.[Persons in H-l, L-l, and OPT EAD status do not have unrestricted right to work.]
VALiNTRY Services and all its divisions are equal opportunity employers. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other federal or state protected category.
For immediate consideration, please contact
John Patten – Information Technology Recruiting Manager
O: 800-360-1407 D: 407-205-1124 E:[email protected]
For a complete list of our current openings, please visit VALiNTRYtechnology.com.
Fill this out to apply
Already have an account? Sign in.